WALAY-A KALILINTAD FRIARY
Order of Friars Minor (Franciscans)
Custody of St. Anthony of Padua-Philippines
East Poblacion, Balo-i, Lanao del Norte
ACCOMPLISHMENT REPORT ON THE PEACE INITIATIVES AND INTER-FAITH DIALOGUE PROGRAMS OF THE KALILINTAD PEACE CENTER,
EAST POBLACION, BALO-I, LANAO DEL NORTE
Repair and Improvement of the Kalilintad Peace Hall and Kalilintad Learning Center
On the Kalilintad Peace Hall
With the financial assistance of the Development Office of the General Curia and the management of the General Office of Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation, the Franciscan friars of Walay-a Kalilintad Friary were able to make some repair and improvements to the Kalilintad Learning Center and the Kalilintad Peace Hall which serve as vital avenues for the peacemaking mission and inter-faith dialogue programs of the friars in the said area.
For the Kalilintad Peace Hall, we were to repaint the ceiling and the outside structure. Moreover, we were also able to put up a new sound system which is very much necessary in any meeting, forum or program. We really see this improvement of the Kalilintad Peace Hall as truly providential, timely and relevant because when the war in Marawi City broke out (Balo-i is 19 kilometers only from Marawi City), the Kalilintad Peace Hall has served as a venue for various meetings, forums and conferences by different groups:
- Orientation of the leaders of the various evacuation centers in Balo-i, Lanao del Norte
- Meeting of various organizations (NGOs) and orientation of volunteers who are responding to the needs and concerns of the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) from Marawi City
- Meeting and planning of the different members of the Franciscan family who are working for the IDPs and
- Forums and conferences about deep-seated issues and concerns that have arisen out of the Marawi crisis.
Furthermore, the Kalilintad Peace Hall has also served as the “operations command center” of the Franciscan friars in their on-going programs and activities for the IDPs from Marawi City. Repacking of relief goods, inventory of medicines for medical missions, and art therapy sessions for the children IDPs has been done in the Kalilintad Peace Hall. And these activities are still on-going up to the present moment.
Below are the various inter-faith activities and meetings that were held at the Kalilintad Peace Hall with the corresponding dates and photos:
On the Kalilintad Learning Center
In the same manner, through the financial assistance from the Project Commission of the General Secretariat for Missions and Evangelization, we were able to make necessary improvements on the structures and facilities of the Kalilintad Learning Center. Such renovations were very necessary in relation to the requirements set by the Department of Education (DEPED) for our application to continue the operation of the learning center. Hence, such improvements and little renovation were very vital for us to continue our mission of dialogue and peacemaking in Balo-i via the education of young Muslim and Christian students.
In particular, we are able to repaint and renovate the classrooms of the Kalilintad Learning Center. We were also able to purchase additional chairs, tables and cabinets for the use of our students and teachers in the classroom as well as in the library. Furthermore, we were also able to secure the necessary materials and set up the play ground of the learning center which we also see as a very vital aspect in the dynamics, on-going formation and day to day life of the students.
Peace Camp/Peace Formation for the Muslim-Christian Youth of Balo-i
Taking into serious consideration the war that has erupted in Marawi City and the humanitarian crisis that it has created, we, the Friars of Walay-a Kalilintad Friary, decided that instead of having the usual peace camp/formation for Muslim-Christian youth of Balo-i, we will gather them and undergo immediate trainings and seminars so that they can serve as volunteers of our on-going humanitarian mission for the internally displaced persons or evacuees from Marawi City. Aside from the fact that we were able to achieve the main objective of animating, gather and form young Muslims and Christians from Balo-i in the spirit of mutual respect, collaboration, harmony and unity, the activities also became responsive and relevant to the prevailing issue and crisis in this part of our country.
The funds provided by the project commission of the General Office for the Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation for the peace camp were used to finance the trainings, formation sessions and activities of the Muslim and Christian volunteers who served in the various humanitarian missions that we have conducted for the IDPs from Marawi City.
Below are the particular inter-faith trainings, formation sessions and activities that involved the young Muslim and Christian volunteers from Balo-i, Lanao del Norte as a response to the needs and concerns of the IDPs (evacuees) from Marawi City.
- Training and Seminar of “Duyog Marawi” Volunteers (July 29-30, 2017 at the Santo Tomas de Villanueva Parish, Maria, Balo-i, Lanao del Norte)
- “Franciscans, One with Marawi Conference”: Orientation and Updating of Volunteers (August 16-18, 2017 at the Third Order Regular Friary, Assumption Hills, Sta. Felomina, Iligan City)
- Duyog Eid-al Adha and Inter-Faith Celebration of the Opening of the Season of Creation with the IDPs (evacuees) of Nangka Evacuation Center, Brgy. Nangka, Balo-i, Lanao del Norte (October 1, 2017)
- Post-Trauma Stress Disorder Prevention and Management Seminar of the Muslim and Christian Volunteers from Balo-i, Lanao del Norte (September 17, 2017)
- Training and Seminar of the Muslim-Christian Volunteers on the facilitation of Art Therapy Sessions with the IDPs (Evacuees) from Marawi City (September 20, 2017)
All in all, the projects as financed by the project commission of the General Office for Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation, with slight modifications considering the present context and circumstances were accomplished. With this, we would like to thank the brothers from the project commission and from the General Office for Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation for the support that you have extended to our mission of inter-faith dialogue and peacemaking here in Balo-i, Lanao del Norte. More power and God bless!
DANIEL BORROMEO, OFM
Project and Mission Coordinator